Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Peace(ful)work

I tried piecework first years ago, right after my husband and I were married.  I'd never done it before and realized quickly that I did not enjoy it.  Rather than being the peaceful retreat I had hoped for I found it downright infuriating.  I'm a bit of a perfectionist and lacking the skill I was always disappointed in my efforts.  So I packed away the little collection of quilting tools I had acquired and re-acquainted myself with cross stitch.  An early love, I found this to be my perfect companion and never gave piecing another thought.

Since then I have never wavered from my stitching but my tastes have changed.  Discovering the world of primitive work and antique reproductions has provided me with a small corner of my life where I am free from my perfectionism and without that I am quite sure I would have gone mad years ago.  I have applied this principal to my stitching, sewing, decorating . . . it has extended its' reach throughout my life (thankfully).  It occurred to me a few months ago (I'm not sure what took me so long) that I might extend that philosophy into piecework as well.


It took longer than I had planned (as do most things) but I couldn't be happier with the results.  I chose colors and placement based on what I had in my stash and what pleased my eye and forgot all those rules I'd read about years ago.  The borders are pieced because I had strips left over from making the squares and saw no reason to let them sit unused.

My seams don't line up.


My points aren't perfect.

You know what?  I don't care.  Say it with me.  I DON'T CARE.  That felt good :) 

I am pleased with it.  So much so I believe I will quilt and bind it (first time I've ever been happy enough with a piece to invest that much additional work into it) as soon as I'm caught up on some of my stitching that is.  I did promise you progress on that sampler . . .

xoxo

Jennie Lynn

P.S. I forgot to add the photos when I posted earlier . . . that's what I get for bloggin and cooking at the same time :)

9 comments:

Kate said...

So glad you have refound piecework. I too had to let the little imperfections go. I love it, now and make doll blankets and small pieces to back my cross stitch. Would love to see your finished piece.

Patty C. said...

Im sure it is beautiful as it is!

MoonBeam said...

I think sometimes...maybe all the time...we need to free ourselves from demanding perfection or nothing from ourselves.

Penny said...

It looks fabulous to me!! Isn't it great to not have to worry about everything lining up and being just so?!!! I was a bit of a perfectionist myself back in the day. But I don't think there is a sampler that I've made recently that doesn't have one mistake or another in it!!! Aaahhh, prims.....

Happy you're finding piecework more fun these days!

Barb said...

You attitude is wonderful. I quit quilting for the same reason as you. Maybe I need to revisit quilting. However, I do love doing cross stitch , it is so relaxing!

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

I love how carefree your quilting is!! and your colors!!

mdgtjulie said...

In it's own little way, it is perfect. Grats to you Jennie Lynn.

quiltsbycheri said...

GooD for YoU, letting go and just enjoying the piecework is the best way to be....the only way i sew

Pat said...

Great job!!!! I love it. It looks home made to me!!